Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahloveland

Agalite Double Slide vs. One Side Fixed for Double Headed Shower

S L
6 years ago

I am trying to decide if I should have one side of our 60" slider fixed or have both sides functional for a double headed shower. I would think one side fixed would have less opportunity for water to get out but I also do not want to find that I hate leaning into the shower to turn the water on behind the fixed side. I had a double slider before but the bottom track gunk was disgusting regardless of bleach and toothbrush aided cleaning. I also only had one shower head so I could slide the doors so water did not spray out between the middle gap in the two doors. I am also concerned about the bottom edge keeping water in. It is going to be installed on a shower base (not curb less).

Are any of these things peeves of yours? Do the new systems (not 1980's) work better and all of this is not an issue?

Thanks!

On the home stretch of an amazing whole house remodel. Houzz has been a great help.

Comments (7)

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    I personally don't like rain head showers because I don't like water running down my face when I wash my hair. I prefer a standard wall-mounted head plus a hand-held wand on an adjustable-height vertical bar. The wand is great for rinsing out the sliding door track (it has openings to let the water drain onto the shower floor) and the corners.
  • traciel
    6 years ago

What did you decide? I have same issue

• S L
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I ended up with the slider on both sides and am glad that I can access either shower head/handle without getting into the shower. That being said - do not buy the Agalite Transcend door. The Agalite Estate by-pass slider with the thickest glass functions beautifully. No water getting out with both shower heads in use.

The issued turned out to not be the two by-pass sliding doors but rather the design of the frame-less Agalite Transcend door. The local dealer has decided not to sell this model at all after my install was the last straw. The gap at the bottom, even with the clear seal was too much and did not keep water in. This was not just a little spray but I had to fully line the floor with towels or it was completely soaked 10" from the door. The bar/mounting plate offered very little room for level adjustment so there was no height adjustment that could be made without the bar ends looking like they were sliding off the plate. The seal on the side kept the water in but you had to slide/slam it at speed to keep it locked and then it was actually a struggle to open it, especially on the side that had no knob on the inside. If you did not it would slide open 1" or so and not keep water in. On other installations what were wider than 60" they said the bars sagged in the middle so the doors would roll open toward the middle if they were not slammed into the side seals.

I had them switch out to the Estate Sliding door and it is perfect, keeps water in and actually has a cleaner/simpler look. I thought I wanted to the barn door rollers and tech look but I am now happy with the simpler design. The problem is the wider holes in my brand new tile from the first door. I am having Miracle Method out (recommended for tile/marble repair) to see if we can match the tile look/color to cover up the holes. I should have just gone with the simpler door. Excellent design and quality that costs less.

Seeing drilled holes in $1000's of new tile work is an awful end to an otherwise successful whole-house remodel. . . . Hope this helps!

Sarah

• traciel
    6 years ago

So, you after trying frameless double bypass doors, you changed to framed bypass doors? Wow.

Admittedly, I don't understand why there would be a gap at the bottom.

• S L
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The first door they made the glass a little short. It barely engaged the bracket that holds it at the bottom. They remeasured and had the glass remade and Agalite made it incorrectly. In the meantime the installed added a little extra L-metal at the bottom on the inside of the rubber seal to try and keep less water from splashing out. That kind of worked for that side but did not solve the other bar level, door slamming issues. It was a 3-4 return trip fiasco. Not the installers fault but I would not recommend the frameless design at all.

• John Jeffers
    11 days ago

The design from the manufacturer has a 3/8” to a 9/16” gap under the door. there is a guide keeping the glass in line. thats it folks. it will leak, and all the mickey mouse fixes are just that. terribly designed. expensive and leaky. they look cool though. unfortunately they arn’t made to actually keep water in your shower. floor, yes. shower, no. you cant win. grab your shotgun and finish it off. start over.